Medically reviewed and approved by Nataniel Josue M.D.
SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR OILY SKIN
¿Oily skin?. With the advertising of a product every 10 seconds, one can often get confused as to what we actually need and what is just pure consumerism.
To take care of oily skin effectively, you should follow a routine of washing your face three times a day, toning with rose water or cucumber juice, moisturizing it, finally using sunscreen with at least 30 SPF (before choosing the sunscreen make sure you are not allergic to its ingredients).
Not everyone has 11 skin problems that need to be addressed using a 19 step skincare routine and you honestly do not need all those steps to keep your skin looking its best.
Making purchases should ideally be based on what your skin naturally needs, and not what you are seeing your favorite celebrity use. One should start by realizing what you need to invest your money in.
For that, it is imperative to understand your own skin first. You need to first understand your skin type: is it oily, dry, and dehydrated, combination, or normal skin? Do you have any skin issues that are bothering you? What do you want to take care of acne, blackheads, or large pores?
After you have found answers to all of this and eliminated products which you are allergic to, you should go on to purchasing skincare items that you need. In this article, we are going to focus on oily skin type.
We all know how difficult it is to find the right products that suit our skin. No matter how good products you use, you will get lots of oil on your face after some time. That happens because you are not having any skincare routine that helps in eliminating oil production.
This budget-friendly skincare routine is going to benefit a lot of teenagers as well, as we all know how tight the cash influx is, and buying every next expensive skincare item is not very feasible. Read on to find out about the basic skincare products you need for your oily skin.
Your skincare routine includes 4 points:
- Washing your face 3 times a day
WASHING YOUR FACE
Washing your face in the morning is extremely important, so is washing your face at night before you sleep, to rid the skin of any harmful pollutants or dust or grime that gets accumulated during the day.
For oily skin, look for a gel-based face-wash, which won’t add more oil to your face. The trick to control oil in your skin is to be gentle with and not strip it too much of your natural oils, which tricks the skin into overproducing sebum, which is not good.
Try staying away from fancy face-washes like the ones which claim they lighten or do other things. These just have a lot of chemicals that you probably don’t need. Using a clean, chemical-free face wash does wonder for all skin types. Especially with sensitive skin, any additive is a big NO!
- Wash your face at least thrice a day. Once in the morning, evening, and at night before you sleep.
- Be as gentle as possible while washing your face.
- After gently massaging the facewash, leave it for a good 30 seconds, and then wash it with water. It helps to clean up the pores and give you better results.
- Gently dry your face with a tissue or soft towel by patting. Never drag your face with a towel because it makes your face dry and you end up applying more moisturizer than required.
Toning is a really important step that you must include in your skincare routine. It helps to maintain the pH balance of your skin without leaving it dry.
A great toner helps to tighten your pores and make them smaller and extracts any dirt and makeup residue sitting deep in your pores.
Look for more natural ingredients in your toner like rose water, cucumber juice that not only tightens your skin but helps in reducing inflammation. Tone your face every time you wash it.
If you don’t trust any products you can easily make your own toner at home. Just take a cucumber and just it into pieces. Take a jar half-filled with water and add those pieces into it. Leave the mixture for a day. There you have it, our own DIY cucumber toner! You can also make rose water the same way.
1. Take a cotton pad and add some toner to it and apply it gently to your face.
2. If you have any pigmented areas, keep the cotton pad dipped in natural toner for 10-15 minutes. Repeating this trick will help in lightening the pigmentation.
3. The most important tip is to store the homemade toner in your refrigerator. The cool cucumber juice helps a lot in refreshing your skin and reduces any puffiness in your face.
Moisturiser is a must-have for everyone, no matter what skin type you have. Having oily skin doesn’t mean that your skin is hydrated. You need to replenish it with a moisturizer. You might not know, but a dehydrated face tends to produce more oil. But finding the one that works for your skin type is the main goal.
If you have severely oily skin, try gel or water-based moisturizer. It works wonders for oily and greasy skin both as a day and night cream. You don’t necessarily need a day and night cream.
- Skip the facial oils! You don’t need to use them unless you have a normal skin type.
- Don’t apply too much cream even if it is oil-free. You only need a tiny amount to apply to the dry areas.
- Apply less on your T-zone areas as it tends to produce more oil.
Sunscreen is important for everyone, any time of the year. Skin cancer is a real danger that has seen increasing recently. It is good to stay safe, all year round.
Get yourself a moisturizer with SPF in it, or you could get a separate SPF as well, be it chemical or physical. Not applying sunscreen can lead to many skin problems like hyperpigmentation, deepens the scars, and much more.
A lot of people have SPF allergies as well, so be sure you try or patch test something out before buying it.
- If you wear makeup, you should try and wear SPF underneath that as well.
- A lightweight sunblock lotion with SPF 30 is enough for everyone. You don’t really need a heavy SPF lotion no matter what your skin type is.
- Try to find a sunscreen that is not sticky or feels greasy on your skin.
- Always apply sunscreen under your foundation or even if you have a bare face.
- For better results, mix your sunscreen with your gel or water-based moisturizer. It breaks the thickness of the sunscreen giving you’re a smoother finish.
WHAT FACE PRODUCTS ARE BEST FOR OILY SKIN? EXTRA CARE FOR OILY SKIN TYPE:
There is no harm in taking extra care of your skin. It helps to improve the skin texture and works best on the problems we have. So, here are some extra care steps that help in reducing the problems you have.
Again exfoliation is a key to having smooth skin and not having dead flaky skin. Irrespective of your skin type, you need to exfoliate, based on your needs.
Using a good quality scrub is important as if the particles are too small, that will not show any real effects and if the particles are too sharp, they can tend to create small tears in your skin. This is a very essential item in the skincare starter kit.
Walnut Scrub is another cult favorite that everyone talks about. It has the perfect texture and makes you feel like you are actually removing dead skin and makes your skin really smooth to the touch.
A great tip for smooth shaving is also to use a scrub on the areas to be shaved before you apply a razor to it. It helps in reducing ingrown hair.
- It is important to gently exfoliate your skin twice a week.
- Look for chemical exfoliants like AHAs and BHA as they help to lighten up the dark spots or pigmentation on your skin giving you a radiant look.
- Physical exfoliants are great to improve your skin texture giving you soft and smooth skin.
- Always go for scrubs that don’t have any essential oils or heavy creams added to it.
- You can use coffee or sugar to scrub your face if you have sensitive skin.
Look for a product those targets for a specific problem you face on a daily basis. If you feel like you need hydration then search for a good hydrating treatment.
Just like that if you have a problem with fine lines and wrinkles, go for an anti-aging serum. Always stick to watery and lightweight products that can be easily absorbed.
- If there is a problem that is bothering you that you cannot solve with a simple skincare routine, only then you should try specialized products. If you can afford it, you should visit a dermatologist in case it is a severe case of acne or hormonal breakouts or blackheads. They can suggest procedures and techniques along with products that you can use to improve your skin.
- For people who cannot afford a doctor, there are various online services that help you find what can possibly work for you. You can contact doctors online who can help you out. Please do not self-medicate even in skincare as it can have lasting detrimental effects.
If you want to pamper yourself, try masks. I would suggest sheet masks for when you are starting out, as they are for one time use and have specific targets.
There are some for detoxing, dullness, plumping, extra hydration, and etcetera. Try out what kind of mask works the best for you, do your research, and then commit to a good mask that you get in a pot or a tube, which usually costs a little more money.
Use it regularly, whenever you feel like your skin could do with a little more love. I would suggest keeping a detoxifying mask-like Fullers Earth on hand to everyone, as it really helps in removing the dirt from your face and deep cleaning, and everyone needs that from time to time.
- Using a clay mask really helps in reducing oil from your face as it has some properties that absorb the extra oil from your pores.
- You can also use a charcoal mask on your skin. It removes all the blackheads and whiteheads from your face and removes all impurities from your face.
- Use sheet masks at least two times a week to maintain healthy skin.
STEAM YOUR FACE
Having oily skin is difficult to maintain, but it requires extra care to bring it back to normal. Steaming your face once a week is very beneficial to deeply cleanse your pores and removes all the dirt that slowly covert to pimples.
It melts all the dirt that builds up in our pores to come out leaving a clear skin. It removes all the impurities, makeup residue, and bacteria that cause damage to our skin.
- Always steam with proper a cleansed face.
- Do not sit near the fan after steaming your face for a good 20 minutes.
- Wash your face after 20 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Gently pat dry your face with a towel and apply some toner to lock the moisture.
- You can skip the moisturizer if your face doesn’t feel dry.
UNDER EYE MASKS OR GEL CREAM
Like you care about our face, your under-eye area also needs hydration. The skin under your eyes is the thinnest and sensitive from your face. So, you need to take extra care of that particular area.
Always hydrate your under-eye area with your face. Use a good gel-based cream to protect your under eye area to avoid fine lines and wrinkles. It is advisable to use a thick eye cream during the night as it can easily repair your skin overnight.
- If you have dark circles, I suggest you use almond oil only under your eye area at night. It keeps the area moisturized and also reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Use a lightweight gel-based under eye cream during the daytime under your sunscreen.
- Massage the cream gently using your ring finger. Never tug or press too hard as it can make your skin appear dark under your eye area.
LIP BALM OR LIP MASK
How can we forget our lips? It is equally important to hydrate your lips, no matter what season it is. There is a proper way to hydrate your lips and repair any damage caused to it. If you plan to do it in the right way, you can see visible results.
- Always scrub your lips with some lip scrubber that not too harsh. You can simply use your finger to gently scrub your lips.
- It is completely fine if you don’t want to invest in a lip scrubber. You can simply take a baby toothbrush with soft bristles to gently scrub your lips.
- Another way is to take small granules of sugar to gently scrub your lip area.
- Always scrub your lips before applying any liquid or dry matte lipstick.
Scrubbing your lips not only removes dead skin but also makes your lip plum. By doing this step you can get rid of pigmentation and flakiness from your lips. It will leave your lips soft and baby pink in no time.
Ice rollers are very beneficial for your skin as it gives a cooling effect and solves many problems. Its cool temperature helps our nerves to calm, reducing any redness, inflammation, shrinking the pores, and disappearing of blood vessels in your skin.
Including this step can provide you amazing results, especially during summers. It is ideal to store it in your refrigerator to cool it down for use. Nothing is more beneficial than a cool, refreshing massage on your face.
- Use the ice roller after the application of any facial oil or serum.
- Massage it starting from your forehead and bringing it down to your eyes to reduce any puffiness, then on your cheeks and chin.
- Use it when you have any puffiness under your eye area to achieve an instant glow on your face.
- After threading, shaving, or waxing your face, you can use this roller to avoid any redness or itchiness on your face.
- If you have any irritating pimples, simply massage over that area to shrink the pimple.
- It releases all your stress and tension when used at night and gives a fresh start in the morning.
EASY AND NATURAL FACE PACKS FOR OILY SKIN:
These face packs are very easy to make, hardly takes only 2 minutes of your time. The plus point is that all the ingredients are available at your home. Besides its easy to include these face packs in your skincare routine.
BANANA FACE PACK
Ripe banana is known to suit best for oily skin people. It includes anti-aging properties that can solve your dark spot problems and helps even out your skin tone. Simply crush the banana and add a few drops of lemon to make a thick paste. Apply the paste and let it sit for a good 30 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
ALOE VERA FACE PACK
Aloe vera itself is an amazing moisturizer, especially for oily skin. It helps in the reduction of pimples and clogged pores. Its antibacterial properties can treat several skin problems. It can be mixed with lemon, honey, or curd/yogurt to make a paste that can do wonders to oily skin people.
GRAM FLOUR, TURMERIC, AND CURD FACE PACK
It is an all in one face pack to reduce spots, hyperpigmentation, even out the skin tone, kill bacteria, and prevent pimples. No face pack can do all of these things at once. Also, it works great on all skin types. This pack will give you shiny and glowing skin in no time. Mix 2 spoons of gram flour, a pinch of turmeric, and curd to thicken the paste.
CUCUMBER FACE PACK
Cucumber is a natural ingredient free of oil and helps to lighten our skin resulting in the reduction of dark spots and dark circles. It soothes our skin to an extent you can’t imagine.
Works great as a toner as well as a face mask. Extract some cucumber juice by grinding the cucumbers and apply it all over your face. People having large pores can get rid of their problems in no time.
FULLER’S EARTH FACE PACK
Fuller’s Earth is rich in vitamins and minerals that have great results on your skin. It can absorb all the extra oil and grease from your face, leaving it natural and soft. It is best to mix rose water and lemon juice with Fuller’s earth to make a paste.
While washing it acts as an exfoliator which is natural and doesn’t harm your skin. You can easily use this face pack instead of using any face scrub.
STRAWBERRY FACE PACK
Strawberry is rich in salicylic acid, which helps in controlling excessive oil production on your skin. It works best on oily skin type when mixed with curd and lemon juice goodness.
This face pack prevents your skin from producing excessive oils and giving your moisturization from the curd. It’s a great way to cure your oily skin.
It is our responsibility to take care of our skin and treat our problems from time to time. If you plan to do this skincare routine, take it slowly.
You never know what ingredients are you allergic to. It is better to take every step slowly and if everything works fine then you can do the steps daily. It is easy to treat our skin using natural ingredients rather than getting costly treatments that harm our skin.
This may take some time to show results using natural ingredients, but you will never get any side effects using them. After all, it is everyone’s dream to achieve healthy skin. Try this natural skincare routine for oily skin by maintaining a properly balanced diet.
In the end, no matter what your skin type is, you are beautiful!
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://buildyourbody.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Nataniel-Josue-Alvarez.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]The article was reviewed and approved by Nataniel Josué Alvarez. Medical Doctor graduated from Medical School Universidad Nacional Experimental Francisco de Miranda. Área Ciencias de la Salud. •Awarded winner IV Science Fair of Research Methodology – April 2012 •Recipient of Asesor Estudiantil Institucional Scholarship •Thesis: Relationship Between Parasitosis, Anemia and Hygiene Habits in patients aged 20 yo 70 years old in Amuay, municipality of Los Taques, Falcón State, Venezuela •Thesis: Intervention Plan in Rural Healthcare in Monte Verde and La Puntica sectors, of the Amuay Community, Los Taques parish, Los Taques municipality, of the Falcón State, Venezuela. During the period March 2018 – July 2018[/author_info] [/author]