Medically reviewed and approved by Nataniel Josue M.D.
Most women’s purpose is to have a flat abdomen, and with defined abs, many believe that marking the belly is a matter of men, because no, women also want to show their defined abs.
To define the abdominals quickly, you must reduce the accumulated abdominal fat that does not allow them to show. You have to burn more calories than are consumed, perform exercises that work the abdominals and combine them with movements that work all the muscles, without forgetting to have a balanced diet and free of fat.
There are many cases where it becomes more complicated if they have been mothers since pregnancy causes several womb changes.
Marking the abs is not an easy task because the abdominal area is one of the most difficult to define. Thus, we will show you a series of exercises that will help you with the abdominals’ correct definition and a healthy diet to speed up the process.
Why can’t I get abs (female)?
Marking your abs is not an easy task because the abdominal area is the most complicated to define. Many people manage to rip the biceps, triceps, quadriceps, and other regions, but not precisely the abdominal area.
Although it is complicated, it is not impossible to define the abdomen. What does not allow the abdominals’ correct definition is the accumulation of body fat in the stomach. Many women have developed abdominal muscles, but the fat deposits they have to prevent them from being marked correctly.
When you have a well-defined abdominal area, you will reduce injuries and excess load on the spine and back pain.
How can a woman get abs?
Reduce accumulated abdominal fat
If your goal is to define your abs, your body fat percentage should be around 18%. To obtain this percentage, use the online body fat calculators. If you realize that your fat rate is higher than 18%, you will need to reduce your daily calories.
You may be interested in “How many calories do I have to eat a day to lose or gain weight? (With calculator)“
Try to make the caloric expenditure higher than the caloric intake.
You can maintain your caloric intake and increase your caloric expenditure. To increase caloric expenditure, do aerobic exercise. Aerobics is where you must move at a lively pace and need the right amount of oxygen. After 40 minutes, the source of energy begins to be the body fat you have.
Aerobic activities combined with abdominal exercises help us to achieve the abs definition. To burn many calories, do high-intensity exercises, such as HIIT workouts, where you spend many calories in a short time.
You may be interested in “How can I lose weight and keep it off naturally“
More things will help you get defined abs.
Relax, so you don’t produce cortisol.
Stress makes you accumulate more fat in the abdominal area, according to studies that have shown that stress and anxiety are linked to the accumulation of subcutaneous fat by releasing cortisol if you want to relax practice yoga or meditation.
Improve your diet
Eat a diet that is low in carbohydrates, rich in proteins and healthy fats. Probably the two best low-carb diets are the “Ketogenic Diet” and the “Dukan Diet.” You should also reduce your salt intake and control your intake of macronutrients.
You may be interested in “What are the best foods for the ketogenic diet?“
Do weight training
You have to lift weights into your training routine since combining strength with cardio reduces abdominal fat.
A person who sleeps poorly can have an alteration in eating. It has been proven that sleeping little increases the abdominal fat and alters the daily balance, making you eat more.
You may be interested in “How can I burn fat while sleeping?.”
Avoid the binges
The main thing is to know how to identify when you are hungry and when you are full. Try to eat when you are starving and avoid overeating and weight gain.
Eat more fiber
According to a study by Melissa M. Kaczmarczyk, Gregory G. Freund, and Michael J. Miller, fiber improves the intestinal tract, thus reducing inflammation in the abdomen. It also gives you a satiety effect so you will be less bloated and eat less.
Remember that each of the tips we have given you does not make miracles by themselves. You must be constant and have a healthy diet and exercise regularly.
Example of a workout routine to define abs
|Side planks||5×45 seconds|
|Leg extensions||5×12 reps.|
|Mountain climbers||5×12 reps.|
This workout routine to define the abdomen is very generic. To find the right one for you, you must vary the number of series and repetitions. Remember that everybody is different and reacts differently to workouts.
Exercises to define the abdomen (women)
To achieve your goal of marking your abs quickly, you’ll need to be consistent in your abdominal workout routine, and:
- A good technique.
- A good breathing rhythm during movement and the intensity to achieve that.
- It would be best if you had a daily routine of 8 minutes. Do not focus only on the abdominal muscles. You must also exercise the body and torso.
- Gradually increase your workout’s intensity by increasing the number of repetitions, the duration of stability exercises, or the weight you use to perform each exercise.
- Do a seasonal abdominal workout. You should do 6 to 12 repetitions, from 2 to 5 series of 30 to 60 seconds; depending on your physical condition, you can move on to the next one when you successfully carry out an exercise.
- Vary the training you perform, static training such as ironing and dynamic workout, where you make movements such as squats.
- It would be best if you exercised your abdomen two or three times a week. If you exercise your stomach excessively and don’t follow a proper diet, your abs will push the fat layer out, and you will look more overweight.
With this exercise, you will mark your abs well.
- On a flat surface, rest your forearms on the ground, bending your elbows to 90 grades, and keeping your body straight.
- You must support your feet, and your hips must be in line with your shoulders.
- In this exercise, the only thing that should be touching the ground is the tip of your feet and forearms.
- Although it is difficult, try to keep the iron for 20 seconds or, if you can, longer.
- By doing this exercise, you will manage to eliminate the fat in the lower part of the abdomen.
- Place one forearm on the floor with the elbow bent at 90 degrees and the body placed in a lateral position.
- Keep your feet supported and your hips in line with the rest of your body.
- Then you can make lateral flexions of the trunk, pressing the side that is closer to the ground.
- While in the ironing position, simultaneously raise one arm and the opposite leg, keeping the body balanced on the supporting points.
- With this, you work the abdomen, the pectoral, and the gluteus.
Plank leg raise
Maintaining the plate’s initial position, raise one leg as much as you can, then alternate with the other leg.
Plank with pushups
- While in the plank position, go down to the floor leaning on your wrists and palms.
- Bend your elbows to get closer to the ground.
- In this position, you must hold on for more than 20 seconds and then stretch your arms again.
Lateral planks with the opposite foot
Start with the side plate position, then try to reach with the opposite hand and foot and switch sides.
Lateral plank with rotations
- In the plank position, the trunk rotates so that you align the body on a side plate.
- You must support one of your arms on the ground, and the other stretched toward the chest.
- Then you return to the initial position of the plate and turn to the other side.
- Change position with each repetition.
You have to do it in the following way:
- Slightly raise your torso in a slow and controlled manner, without taking on momentum.
- Then you will lift it just a little, not entirely.
- Try not to pull on the neck to work the abs well.
- Lying down with your feet in the air and your knees bent at 90°.
- You make the trunk flexion by squeezing the abdomen while keeping the head in prolongation of the trunk.
- Rotate the upper body to one side and make an extension with the opposite leg with coordination.
- Lying down on the floor with your hands close to the ground, raise your legs to 90 degrees.
- Keep your legs as straight as you can.
- With this exercise, you exercise the straight abdominal muscles and the flexor muscles of the hip.
- You can also perform this exercise on a leg extension machine.
- To do this exercise, you should rest your hands on the ground, and your arms should be straight.
- Keep your body in horizontal form, and bring one knee toward the chest with your leg bent.
- Balance it in an alternative way by changing your leg.
They are a great way to have a flat and marked abdomen. You can do it in different ways.
- To make the classic abdomen lie down on the floor with your back straight and knees bent at 60 degrees.
- Place your hands near your temples, or you can also cross your arms over your chest.
- Raise your shoulders off the floor a little, exhale and then return to the floor.
Crossed body crunches
- Place your hands at the sides of your head and your fingers pointing to your ears behind your head.
- Raise your left elbow and place it toward your left knee.
- Return to the starting position.
- Then do it with your right elbow and left knee.
- Try to raise your whole body and to hit your shoulder instead of only the elbow; for this, the essential thing is to contract your abdominals as you are doing the exercise.
- Instead of placing your legs on the floor, you will put them on the exercise ball at a 90-degree angle to perform your abs.
- Lift your shoulders off the floor and contract your abs as if you were doing your basic crunches.
- Then move down and repeat.
- Lie down on your back with your arms attached to your body.
- Then extend your legs and gently lift them off the ground, contracting your abdominals.
- You should keep your back close to the floor.
- Then stay in this position and cross your legs extended.
- First, you cross your right leg over your left one, and then change sides.
- Do 20 repetitions.
How do I diet to define my abdominals?
Define your macros
The primary norm that this diet should have is to contain 60 to 70% of calories from carbohydrates, 10 to 15% of protein, and 30% of fat.
Eat between 5 and 7 times a day.
Try to eat tiny portions 5 to 7 times a day. For dessert, you can eat bananas, nuts, or salads in small amounts. Lunch should be the most copious meal.
Consume more protein
Reduce carbohydrate consumption and increase protein consumption, from 2 to 2.5 grams of protein per kilogram of weight.
Your diet should be low in fat and high in protein, the main protein to be consumed should come from eggs and fish, in addition to eating lean meats, if possible without skin.
Use a low caloric deficit.
Lower your caloric deficit. It should not exceed 300 to 500 kcal, because if this deficit is more significant, the musculature you have achieved will continue to reduce. Your body will also go into “defense mode,” and instead of lowering the fat percentage, it will maintain or increase it. The defense mode is a mechanism that our bodies created millennia ago to protect themselves from food shortages.
Eat low-glycemic foods
Consume foods with a low glycemic index such as:
- Brown rice.
- Brown pasta.
- Citrus fruits.
In this way, you will induce the body to burn fat that accumulates in the hips and abdomen.
Drink plenty of water and do not consume alcohol
We always recommend drinking 2.5 liters of water daily. By drinking water, you will avoid taking other alternatives that contain calories. Also, avoid drinks with sugar, including Light or Zero Cokes. If you like them a lot, these last ones don’t stop drinking them but try to avoid them or consume them in moderation.
Also, drink green tea, as it is full of antioxidants that reduce free radicals. Don’t add sugar to this tea. It will bring more liquid and antioxidants to the body; it only contains one or fewer calories per serving.
Before each meal, drink a large glass of either green tea or water. That will give your stomach a feeling of satiety, which will make you eat less.
To burn more fat, when you finish exercising, eat beets or drink black coffee.
Avoid unhealthy foods
Avoid industrial bakery, juices, packaged foods, white bread, sugary foods and beverages, fast foods, spicy sauces, thick creams, desserts, ice cream.
Don’t eat just before bedtime.
Try not to eat just when you go to sleep. These foods do not have enough time to be digested, and your body will directly convert them into fat.
Having well-defined abs is a matter of changing habits, such as combining an excellent healthy diet with a workout. You can reduce your fat percentage so your abs can show the diet will determine the result by 70%, and the exercise will be the remaining 30%.