How to moisturize dry and damaged hair at home? When we abuse excessive coloring, we use inappropriate shampoos or heat tools such as hair straighteners or dryers. Even solar radiation can seriously damage the hair, resulting in wool with a lack of shine, dryness, and weakness.
This article will talk about tips to avoid dry and damaged hair and the steps you should follow to prevent it. We will also talk about the products you have at home to use in masks, to give your hair back the strength, shine, and vitality it needs.
Is my hair damaged or dry?
Dry hair is recognizable to the naked eye, as it is dull, easily tangled, and brittle to touch – it feels like you’re handling a straw.
This is due to a lack of moisture, aggressive bleaching treatments—also the continual use of heat such as irons and hair dryers.
The result of dry and damaged hair is the split ends when the cuticle is open, moisture penetrates more quickly, which causes the keratin to degrade.
That’s when it happens in breakage and lack of shine. To prevent the cuticle from opening, you must seal it.
How to prevent dry, damaged hair
Use sulfate and silicone-free shampoos
Using shampoos that do not contain sulfates or silicones will help you get a gentle and creamy hair cleansing.
It also helps to remove other products in the hair such as:
- Silicone build-up.
- Beach salt.
- Remains of conditioners
- Oil residues, etc.
Use repair masks twice a week
After washing your hair regularly and rinsing it, wear hair repair masks about twice a week.
That will help protect the hair fiber and repair the damage that has been caused by pollution and solar radiation.
These masks need time to work on the hair to penetrate and provide healthy doses that dry and damaged hair needs.
Why do you have to use natural hair masks?
- They replace silicones with natural ingredients, repair damaged hair, obtain a healthy fiber and a compact cuticle.
- Natural vegetable oil masks are rich in vitamins in Omega 3 and 9.
- They are also rich in protective and regenerating nutritional properties that help you nourish your hair deeply.
- With a mask full of natural oils, you will not need to use drops of hair oils.
Activate the circulation of your scalp
You must activate blood circulation and the production of capillary oil secretion, massaging the scalp regularly.
Use a heat protection spray
Apply a heat protection spray before using the dryer or iron. These heat tools are very aggressive to the hair and make the hair dry.
If you can, try as much as you can to let your hair air dry.
Use a long-tooth comb
Untangle hair if it is wet with a long-tooth comb, as it is more fragile when wet. Then use a finer comb to finish untangling the hair.
Use products for dry hair
When using a hair product, make sure it is specific to treat dry hair.
That is essential because they contain fewer agents that dry out your hair. Also, thanks to their high silicon content, they make hair easier to comb.
Don’t wash your hair every day.
Don’t wash your hair every day because you remove the lipid film, which serves as a protective barrier for the hair. Wash it when you need to.
How can I fix my dry, damaged hair at home?
- Use a moisturizing shampoo. Wash your hair thoroughly with a moisturizing shampoo. You can add a couple of tablespoons of jojoba oil after washing your hair well rinse it with warm water.
- Use conditioner for dry hair. Now apply the conditioner, which should also be used for dry and damaged hair, leaving it on for several minutes.
- Use a natural mask. Then apply the mask for dry hair, leaving it on for at least 15 minutes. When you remove it, you will see that your hair is softer and shinier. This mask should be applied every week.
Why should you use natural masks? The International Journal of Trichology conducted an in-depth study of students’ hair health from three eastern countries. It showed that all those who used natural additives (coconut oil or natural masks, about 20% on average) had much healthier hair.
Now you will see a graph of the hair health of these people who habitually used natural oils and masks.
Well, I’ve told you a lot about natural masks to treat your dry and damaged hair. Now we’re going to tell you about a series of covers for dry and damaged hair you can use at home.
Extra virgin olive oil, coconut, and almond oil mask.
The vitamins in extra virgin olive oil add shine to the hair, reduce the cold, and repair the ends.
Coconut oil is rich in vitamins and minerals that recover hair from environmental chemicals. It also moisturizes your hair, helping it to be more manageable and soft, and reduces frizz.
Almond oil contains healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals, so hair stays strong and healthy. It also prevents the ends from splitting, giving it shine and strength.
- Two teaspoons of almond oil.
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- 2 spoonfuls of olive oil.
- Take 30 seconds to the microwave to heat the oils.
- Apply with a brush all over the hair.
- Leave on for 20 minutes.
- It should be applied dry, from medium to ends, without touching the scalp.
- You can use it on clean or dirty hair.
This ingredient regulates the Ph of the hair, cleanses it of the contamination, to make it you need the following:
- Two glasses of water.
- 2 drops of pith oil.
Mix in a bowl the vinegar with the glasses of water, and the pith oil.
With this mixture, clean the hair every day, after washing it with the vinegar rinse it thoroughly.
Mayonnaise is an ingredient that saves your hair from dryness, provides vitamins and nutrients that help repair it. Among its components are:
- The egg: It’s ideal for weak, breakable hair.
- Olive oil: contains vitamins E and oleic acids that help repair damaged hair.
- Lemon: heals and softens the scalp.
A) Mayonnaise and vitamin E:
This mask is ideal for nourishing dry hair even with coffee. It will also provide shine while softening your mane.
- One egg white.
- Three capsules of vitamin E.
- Two tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- One teaspoon of vinegar.
- Add all the ingredients one by one, beating them very well with a wooden spoon.
- Then take the mixture to the fire until it clears a little at the edges.
- The kitchen fire should be slow.
- Apply from top to bottom with a brush, a comb, or your fingers until it reaches the tips.
- Leave it to work for 25 minutes and rinse with warm or lukewarm water.
This mask should be applied at least once a month.
B) Mayonnaise and Egg Mask
This mask provides shine and vitality to the hair, eliminating dryness and nourishing the scalp. Also, its content of antioxidants strengthens the hair.
- One whole egg.
- 3 spoonfuls of mayonnaise.
- Beat the egg well until it becomes a homogeneous cream.
- Then add the mayonnaise and keep on beating.
- To apply it, divide the hair into several sections and apply the mask with the help of a brush.
- Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
C) Mayonnaise, egg and coffee mask
It helps to combat dry hair since caffeine promotes blood circulation.
- One egg.
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise.
- Two tablespoons of soluble coffee.
- Beat the egg in a bowl, slowly add the mayonnaise, and then add the coffee and stir well.
- Apply this mask from the roots to the ends, with gentle massages to the scalp.
- Let it rest overnight. You can wrap your hair with a cap or towel.
- You should use it should twice a week.
Olive oil and honey mask.
- Mix 3/4 of extra virgin olive oil with 1/4 of honey.
- These measures can change depending on the length of your hair.
- Then apply to clean, damp hair.
- Leave on for 15 minutes and rinse.
Almond oil mask.
- Place almond oil in a container and heat in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Once warm, apply to hair and leave on for 20 minutes.
- Then wash the hair and rinse it with shampoo until you remove all the oil.
Vinegar and mint mask.
Recovers the hair’s strength while protecting it from the sun and sea salt.
- Twenty leaves of mint almond.
- 20 rocket leaves.
- Apple vinegar.
- 4 spoonfuls of lemon juice.
- Fill a container with a glass of water and another glass of apple vinegar.
- Take this mixture to the fire until it boils. There add the mint leaves, the rocket, and the lemon juice.
- When the mixture is warm, pass it through a sieve until it cools down.
- Finally, apply it to wet or freshly washed hair, leaving it on for 20 minutes and rinsing it with warm water.
Avocado and almond oil mask
The almond oil helps to repair the hair, as well as the split ends. The avocado is an excellent ingredient that provides a lot of hydration.
- One tablespoon of almond oil.
- 1 ripe avocado.
- One egg yolk.
- In a bowl, mix the spoonful of almond oil, the ripe avocado, and the egg yolk.
- Mix very well until it becomes a homogeneous cream.
- Then apply it on the hair and wait 15 minutes for it to work.
- Rinse with warm water and wash with a shampoo.
- You can also use the almond oil directly to the ends with dry hair, let it act for a while, and rinse.
Milk and honey mask.
This mask is an excellent option to hydrate and repair dry and damaged hair, as the vitamin in milk strengthens growth and provides moisture. Also, honey has a superb repairing property.
- One cup of milk.
- 1/2 cup of honey.
- Two spoonfuls of lemon juice.
- One beaten egg yolk.
- In a bowl, add the cup of milk, the half cup of honey, the spoonfuls of lemon, and the yolk of the beaten egg.
- Mix everything very well until you get a homogeneous cream.
- Apply it to wet hair and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- After this time, rinse with warm water, and if you wish, you can wash your hair with your usual shampoo.
Banana and avocado mask:
That is an excellent antioxidant and nourishing mask to help repair damaged hair by providing lots of moisture.
- One ripe avocado.
- One banana.
- Three tablespoons of honey.
- Two tablespoons of almond oil.
- Crush the avocado very well with the banana until it becomes a homogeneous cream.
- Then add the three spoonfuls of honey and the two of almond oil.
- When this mixture is very compact, place it on your wet hair from the tips to the roots.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse with plenty of cold water.
Avocado, egg and honey mask
Avocado is a nutrient-rich ingredient that provides protein, fatty acids, and minerals to nourish your hair and make it less prone to breakage.
Also, bee honey is rich in antioxidants, which prevents dandruff or infection in the scalp.
On the other hand, the egg yolk provides an enormous amount of amino acids and proteins, which generate the natural sebum of the hair.
- One egg (the yolk).
- An avocado.
- Three spoonfuls of honey.
- In a container, mix the ingredients evenly so that there are no lumps.
- Then place it in your dry hair for 30 minutes.
- Afterward, rinse until you remove all residues.
Castor oil and soybean oil mask:
Castor oil is rich in fatty acids, which improve hair quality and minimize brittleness.
Soybean oil is an excellent moisturizer for damaged, dry hair ends. Its saturated fats make it a natural moisturizer, making hair softer and fuller.
- Two tablespoons of castor oil.
- 1 tablespoon soybean oil.
- Pour the two ingredients into a container you can heat.
- Take it to low heat for approximately 2 minutes, avoiding the oil to boil.
- If you wish, you can add a few drops of fragrance oil.
- When it cools down, apply the mixture to the scalp and all the hair, massaging gently along the hair’s length.
- Then wrap the hair with a hot towel and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Finally, wash and rinse hair.
Aloe Vera Masks ( Aloe Vera )
Aloe vera has excellent moisturizing power for the hair. It is rich in collagen and elastin.
- Two tablespoons of aloe vera gel
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise.
- One tomato.
- Pour tomato into a blender, with mayonnaise and aloe vera.
- Blend well afterward.
- Apply to hair before sleeping.
- Wrap the head with a shower cap.
- In the morning, rinse with warm water.
- Ten tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- 1/4 cup almond oil.
- In a bowl, mix the aloe vera and almond oil well.
- Then apply to the hair, leaving it on for 30 minutes and rinse with warm water.
The yogurt for its content of vitamin B6, B12, lactic acid and calcium, repairs and nourishes damaged hair. It also seals the cuticle, moisturizes, and moisturizes the hair root, giving it a better development, shine, and softness.
These yogurt masks are used as a natural hair conditioner because they allow retaining the lost humidity to get rid of the split ends.
- Six tablespoons of natural yogurt.
- One egg.
- The first thing you have to do is beat the egg white until you get the snow point.
- Once it is ready, mix it with the yogurt.
- Apply to hair and leave for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Then rinse with plenty of water.
Avocado and yogurt mask:
This mask will help you keep your hair healthy and shiny.
- 1/2 avocado.
- 3 tablespoons of natural yogurt.
- In a container, mash the avocado well until it forms a purée.
- Then add the spoonfuls of natural yogurt until it forms a homogeneous mixture.
- Then apply it to dry hair, leaving it to act for 15 minutes.
- After this time, rinse thoroughly to remove all residues from this mask.
Strawberry mask for mistreated hair.
Strawberry has antioxidant properties which help to moisturize the hair, thus protecting its membranes genuinely.
- A handful of strawberries.
- 2 tablespoons of honey.
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Mix the oil and the honey in a bowl until it forms a homogeneous paste.
- Crush the strawberries with a fork and add them to this mixture.
- Distribute it through the hair, leaving it on for 30 minutes and then remove it with abundant warm water.
Papaya is rich in minerals, antioxidants, vitamins A and C. These essential ingredients help keep your hair soft and shiny.
Also, its high content of beta-carotene helps fight dryness and repair damaged hair.
- One papaya.
- 1 tablespoon of honey.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a bowl, crush the papaya very well, then add the oil and the honey, creating a homogeneous paste without lumps.
- Apply it to the hair, especially the ends.
- Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes to obtain results.
Finally, the natural ingredients that you get in the homemade masks are perfect for dry hair. They also provide softness, natural shine, and ease of combing the hair.
Finally, they strengthen the hair fiber and prevent the hair from breaking.