Medically reviewed and approved by Nataniel Josue M.D.
If you plan to grow your hair out, you should first get your mind right because our hair grows an average of 1.5 to 2.5 centimeters a month, depending on several factors. Hair growth also depends on how healthy the hair is.
To make your hair grow faster, you should take care of it outside by brushing it properly, cutting the ends, using conditioner, or drying it at a moderate temperature. It should also be cared for from the inside by moisturizing well, eating nutritious food, and encouraging growth with rest.
How to get your hair to grow faster and longer overnight
How to take care of long hair, how to get it? You want to look beautiful with your hair, and you think it’s impossible; we all want that beautiful, thick hair that makes us look gorgeous.
We can get it by spending a lot of money on expensive and sophisticated treatments. We recommend implementing certain habits to get the healthy hair of your dreams.
You should also follow these fundamental tips to have healthy and robust hair.
1- Brush your hair daily
Brushing your hair gives it shine and more shine, distributing the hair’s natural oil along the whole length of the hair. It also exfoliates it naturally.
Never comb your hair while still wet, especially if you intend to grow your hair out. Our hair itself is very fragile and even more delicate when wet.
That’s why it’s best not to pull or stretch it during this time as it can easily be pulled out and could get caught in your brush. My recommendation is:
- First, dry your hair very well with a towel, not aggressively but simply by pressing it a little.
- Then start combing your hair gently.
- If you’re going to blow dry your hair carefully, don’t rub it too much.
- Don’t over brush your hair. It’s best to do it when you get up and go to bed. Only brush it exceptionally if it gets tangled.
- You must do it with dry hair, in its most robust state, facilitating the untangling after washing (we will do it with a comb).
- You should always brush your hair, starting from the bottom to top, holding the ends. Then from the middle to the tips, you have finally brushed from the root to the ends.
- If you have curly hair, it is advisable to apply a special oil to remove tangles. It would be best if you used a separate comb. If you want more details, click here.
2- Cut the ends frequently
To make your hair grow, trim the ends; I know for many this may sound contradictory, how come if you want to grow your hair as much as possible, you have to cut it? That’s just the trick, to keep your hair strong and healthy while it grows.
yoyThis is because you prevent the hair cuticle from opening up; this happens when the hair divides and breaks. Once the hair divides, there is simply no way to repair it.
So during the growth process, it’s best to trim the ends of your hair every six to eight weeks. That will prevent the cuticle from opening up and keep your hair strong and healthy.
- Hair tends to split at the ends, and if you don’t cut it in time, it will have a zipper effect and end up breaking the hair fiber.
- It would be best if you did this at least once every month and a half at the most.
- Above all, you must go to a professional or use special hair scissors. Otherwise, you will cause them to split.
3- Wash your hair properly
I don’t recommend buying shampoos or different hair products with vitamins to apply directly to your hair. According to a study carried out for the magazine Dermato-Endocrinology, our hair does not absorb or metabolize those nutrients as the cosmetic industry sells us. Hair acquires its vitamins through the circulatory system and through what you consume.
Applying shampoo or other vitamin products directly to your hair in the hope that it will help it grow faster is a waste of time, especially money.
Your hair is not as you want it to be after you wash it so that you may make some mistakes. Here’s how you can do it:
- Wash your hair no more than once a day
- Use a quality shampoo, the one that best suits your hair type (preferably sulfate-free).
- Shake it before use.
- Do not apply it directly to your hair (put a dose in your hand and put in it to the root and spread evenly throughout your hair).
- Rinse with plenty of water.
- Repeat the operation after rinsing it with warm water. We will finish the process by giving it a cold water rinse to get our hair to shine a little more.
4- Balanced nutrition
For our hair to look healthier and healthier, we have to eat a healthy diet and live as healthy as possible, this in addition to improving our health, will help strengthen our hair by giving it the vitamins and fats it needs. Hair is composed of pigments, minerals, and lipids in 5%, water 15%. The remaining 80% is keratin, an essential protein for our hair.
Since keratin is a protein, we should follow a diet rich in proteins, which will help us so that keratin lacks our hair. A diet rich in protein is the ketogenic diet; many diets will help you remember introducing enough protein in them.
Focus on eating a healthy diet because your hair reflects your overall health. If you are not a healthy person and don’t include the nutrients you need in your daily meals, your hair growth will never reach its full potential.
The primary nutrient for growing your hair is protein, that is why foods like eggs, white meat, spinach, or salmon are so beneficial. They are a great source of protein and contain biotin, another essential nutrient for hair growth. Also, the consumption of omega-3 benefits you, either naturally, which is by consuming different types of fish or through a supplement.
Let’s not forget about broccoli, kale, and berries, which are incredibly beneficial to our health.
Including a multivitamin supplement is also an excellent idea. That way, you can make sure you have all the nutrients you need.
You may be interested in “This is how fish will prolong your life!.”
5- Use conditioner
To make your hair grow faster, you need to use less shampoo and more conditioner. Shampooing your hair every day is not recommended at all because the sulfates and detergents contained in most shampoos are too aggressive to your scalp. They also dry it out and make your hair more fragile.
Simultaneously, as they cleanse your hair of pollution and various chemicals, they also remove the natural and essential oils produced by your scalp. That’s right; the little oils we don’t like are the ones that help keep your hair strong and healthy.
That’s why instead of shampooing your hair every day, the best option would be to wash it only with conditioner and use shampoo every two or three days, depending on how you look at your hair.
Once you’ve finished washing it, don’t apply anything at all if it’s at night. Don’t put in any products or chemicals; just let your scalp breathe and produce its natural oils.
- Use the right conditioner for your hair type, a quality one, not the first one you find in the supermarket. If you don’t use a quality one, you may even make your hair worse.
- You must rinse the shampoo after washing it and remove the excess water with a towel to apply it.
- Then apply it from the ends to the roots. Let it work for a few minutes.
Finally, rinse your hair without rubbing too much.
6- Dry your hair with warm or cold air
Reduce the temperature of your hairdryer. It’s best to refrain from using heating tools when you’re growing your hair out.
High temperatures weaken the hair fiber. So, my recommendation is that if you plan to use your dryer, you should either use it in warm air, which is the middle button or let your hair dry on its own.
7- Avoid heat
Protect your hair as much as possible from the sun’s rays. If you plan to go out where you know, you will expose your hair to the sun’s rays for an extended time. It’s best to be prepared and bring a cap, hat, or something that prevents the sun’s rays from hitting you directly.
As you know, heat causes dehydration, so your hair will dry out, and your hair cuticles will open up, and the moisture in your hair will quickly go away. That will cause our hair to become dry and brittle, and we’ll sweat, which affects our scalp as there’s saltwater left behind that our hair will absorb and damage our hair. Summer is coming, and we want to combat this. Is it possible? Yes, we can fight it:
- By moisturizing your hair with products suitable for your hair type, moisture lost at the cuticle’s opening will be restored.
- It is also essential to cover our hair with caps, scarves, or hats that are cool.
8- Be careful with pigtails
We already know that the ponytail is comfortable, it is also flattering, it is fashionable, and in good weather, it is our wild card:
- This hairstyle is very aggressive for the scalp. It subjects the skin under our hair to a great tension.
- It would be best if you massage your scalp using products with a non-aggressive PH, do not overexpose it to heat, as you have perfect skin, you will have an ideal scalp.
- Finally, I have to tell you not to be afraid. You have to take care of your scalp as you take care of the rest of your skin.
9- Massage your scalp
Massaging our scalp is perhaps one of the most economical options you have to make your hair grow faster. I call it an affordable option because it doesn’t cost you anything to massage your scalp every day.
The reason is that the massage promotes better circulation, which means that your hair will get its nutrients in a better way.
Apart from that, the massage also helps you get rid of dead cells. That is very beneficial because these cells can clog the pores and cause dandruff and even hair loss problems.
You must find time every day to massage your hair for 2-5 minutes. You can do it while bathing, watching TV or when you have just woken up.
The important thing is that you do this massage every day. If that’s not possible, you can start doing it every other day.
10- Drink a lot of water
You’ll also need to do every day if you want your hair to grow much faster to make sure you drink enough water.
If you look, everything is connected. For our hair to grow much faster and always stay strong and healthy, we need good circulation. That’s why I recommended in the previous point to massage your scalp every day. Many people don’t know this, but always keeping well hydrated contributes to our blood vessels’ well being.
Dehydration could slow down our hair’s growth as at least 15 percent of our hair is water. That’s why it needs moisture to grow.
If you look at a hair that doesn’t have adequate moisture, the ends start to look brittle. That makes it challenging to grow, and in fact, the hair can stop growing altogether. That’s why it’s essential to drink enough water every day.
11- Do not go to bed with wet hair
Going to bed or falling asleep while your hair is still wet is not recommended for the same reason I mentioned in the previous point. Our hair is too fragile when it’s wet.
It’s not a good idea to go to bed or sleep if you did not dry out your hair thoroughly. The constant friction between your pillow and your hair could tear it out and cause it to break.
It’s best to wait until your hair is dry before going to bed.
Get enough rest every night. Sleep is vital for our body. We all know that, but getting enough sleep is essential for your hair growth.
All the tips I just mentioned, even some you’ve heard elsewhere, won’t work if you don’t get enough rest every night.
- It is during the sleep stage when our body takes advantage of it:
- Eliminate toxins and regenerate itself.
- To repair the cells.
- For the synthesis of proteins in our hair.
- Also, for the release of growth hormone.
So it’s imperative if you want your hair to grow much faster and also improve its appearance and overall health, you should sleep in between:
- 8 to 10 hours of sleep every night if you’re between 14 and 17.
- 7-9 hours if you’re over 18.
This way, your hair will grow much faster and, of course, be much healthier.
Finally, I want to remind you that you only need to follow these seven tips to take care of your long hair. They will help you keep your hair healthy, shiny, and shine you always wanted.
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]https://buildyourbody.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Nataniel-Josue-Alvarez.jpg[/author_image] [author_info]The article was reviewed and approved by Nataniel Josué Alvarez. Medical Doctor graduated from Medical School Universidad Nacional Experimental Francisco de Miranda. Área Ciencias de la Salud. •Awarded winner IV Science Fair of Research Methodology – April 2012 •Recipient of Asesor Estudiantil Institucional Scholarship •Thesis: Relationship Between Parasitosis, Anemia and Hygiene Habits in patients aged 20 yo 70 years old in Amuay, municipality of Los Taques, Falcón State, Venezuela •Thesis: Intervention Plan in Rural Healthcare in Monte Verde and La Puntica sectors, of the Amuay Community, Los Taques parish, Los Taques municipality, of the Falcón State, Venezuela. During the period March 2018 – July 2018[/author_info] [/author]