The Secret To Glutes Growth (Best Tips and Exercises)
Do you want to get the most out of your butt? I’ve been working on improving my body shape and especially my glutes for years. As a result, I have learned a lot about how to maximize their growth.
What you need to know about your glutes (aka butt) and how you can maximize their growth. Your glutes are the largest muscle group in your body, but they're also one of the most neglected ones.
All too often, we spend time doing squats only to neglect our hamstrings or, even worse, never work out our whole body (including abs) at all! But you don't want just a big butt. You want a fit and healthy one, so you'll have to do more than just squats if you want perfect shapely booty...
Here are some tips that will help you achieve maximum booty gains.
Muscles of your gluteal region
There are several muscles in your buttocks you can feel when you touch the area.
- The main muscle group you are aware of is called the gluteus maximus. It covers much of your upper leg and extends down into your thigh.
- You also have the gluteus medius. You will feel this muscle on your outer thigh, just below your gluteus maximus.
- The gluteus minimus you will feel in your outer, lower buttocks.
- Finally, you have your piriformis. You can find this muscle by reaching backward and feeling the base of your spine.
How long does it take to grow the glutes?
Although you can start seeing glute gains after as little as 2 weeks, you won’t be able to activate your butt fully, and you may not experience any growth for the first few months.
How long does it take to see full results? This is different for every individual, but I would say 4-6 months on average.
The key to seeing the most gains is consistency. Set a goal for yourself and make sure you are training your glutes at least 3-4 times per week.
When you do this, you must ensure you train all of your glute muscles, including the upper, middle, and lower sections, as well as the inside and outside parts of each butt cheek.
The top 10 exercises to get bigger glutes
If you want to maximize their growth, you have to focus on glute-focused exercises. So now I will tell you the best 15 exercises according to my experience.
There are several types of exercises you can use to develop and round your butt. You may perform them using dumbbells or barbells. You may do each out on exercise machines like cable pulley.
The possibilities are endless. I will not go into all the details, but you can find more information about these exercises here. You can choose among a wide variety of glute exercises you can perform in your home (so you don't have to go to the gym) you may do them easily and cheaply!
Popular glute workouts exercises you've probably seen on magazines: squats, lunges, leg press, deadlift, Romanian Deadlift(RDL), kettlebell swings, hip thrust, pull through, Bulgarian split squats, glute bridges, step-ups, etc... you can do them all!
You will see the top 15 most effective exercises you should start performing to get a bigger butt fast. Here you go:
Squats are a compound move, meaning they work for multiple muscle groups simultaneously. But you're not limited to squats!
Squats are a lower body strength training exercise that involves multiple upper body muscle groups while squatting your legs. Although the exercise is usually done with a barbell on your back, you may also use dumbbells. In addition, you can use your own body weight alone if you don't want to put weights on your back.
To perform the squats correctly:
- First, you must stand. Then, you can either place your feet with your toes slightly pointed out, or you may turn them out completely.
- You will squat down until you are parallel to the ground. After that, you should go as you feel comfortable. You will stop 4 inches before your hips reach your knees.
- Slowly you extend your legs, and you stand back up while keeping your back straight throughout the movement. You have not to lean forward or backward.
- Make sure you don't let your knees travel forward, keep them in line with your second toes. You may use your mind to tell you where your knees are.
- Finally, you should push your butt out. You must make sure you do this throughout the entire movement.
Lunges (also called lunge walks) are a type of exercise you can use to strengthen your lower body, you may do them with weights in each hand, or you may do them without weight. Lunges will get you better results if you put weights in your hands while performing the lunge. You also need to focus on form, and you should maintain proper posture when making lunges.
To perform the lunges correctly:
- First, you should stand upright. Then, you may place your feet in a slightly turned-out position.
- You will take a big step forward with your right foot. First, you are going to make sure you are landing on the heel of your foot. Then, you will push yourself up, and you will shift your weight towards your front leg.
- First, you squeeze your glutes. Then you push your hips forward. You will do this repeatedly. Next, you should lower your body until your knee is over your second toes.
- You will push yourself back to the desired starting position. Make sure you don't let your knees cave in. It would be best if you focused on pushing them out.
- Repeat with the other leg.
Leg presses are an exercise you can perform on a leg press machine. You may also do them at home with a bench you use to put your legs on top of. Again, you should make sure your back is supported and start with your knees bend.
To perform the leg presses correctly:
- First, Sit on the leg press machine and place your legs in front of you. Make sure that both feet are positioned afoot to one-and-a-half feet apart, with your toes pointed forward and heels behind.
- Lower the safety bars holding down the platform so it cannot move any further up or down once it is engaged into position during use.
- This will be our starting point for this exercise routine as we begin lowering ourselves toward 90 degrees angle when extending our upper body off from lower back support - without locking away knees at all times!
- Use inhalation breathing technique while slowly pressing downward towards a fully extended range of motion; then continue pushing upward after releasing air out through mouth using exhalation breath technique.
- Do as many repetitions as you need.
The deadlift is a weight training exercise you can do to strengthen your back, glutes, and hamstrings. Deadlifts are performed when you bend at the waist and stand up while pulling a barbell off the floor. The weight should be in front of your hips as you stand up.
To do a proper deadlift:
- First, you should stand your face with your short bar. Then, you may use your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Second, you will bend down and grab the bar with your hands outside of your knees. You need to squeeze your back, glutes, and hamstrings and push your hips forward. You want to keep your back straight as you do this movement.
- Third, you will lift your upper body you want to keep your back straight throughout this movement.
- Repeat as many times as you need.
Proper training must include a good amount of exercises for your legs and glutes like RDLs. The Romanian Deadlift (RDL) is another lower body exercise you should try. It involves you bending your legs.
- You have to bend your knees in an upright position and keep your back straight during the entire movement.
- You may use dumbbells or barbells, and you may perform them standing up, or you can sit down on a bench you want. You can also use your own body weight.
Lunges and RDLs are among the best exercises you can do to get your glutes growing. You should add squats, Lunges, RDLs to your weekly routine, and you will see great results in no time!
Kettlebell swings are a type of weight-training exercise you can use to strengthen your lower back, upper back, glutes, and hamstrings. The exercise is performed when you swing the kettlebell you hold between your legs up to your chest or above your head. You may get better results if you incorporate them in your routine with other exercises like squats or deadlifts, and you should maintain proper posture while performing the kettlebell swing.
To perform the Kettlebell swings correctly:
- First, you hold your kettlebell with your hands between your legs with your upper body slightly bent.
- Second, you will lift your upper body and squeeze your glutes to get a good stretch in your hamstrings as you do this movement.
- Third, you push yourself back to the starting position make sure your knees are not caving in. As you stand up, you want to squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement.
- Repeat as many times as you need.
Barbell hip thrusts
A barbell hip thrust is a weight training exercise you can do to strengthen your glutes.
- The exercise is performed when you contract glutes (on your back) and raise your hips from the ground.
- Your knees should bend about 90 degrees, and you should place a pad you don't mind getting dirty underneath your butt for comfort.
Glute bridges are another popular exercise you can do to get your butt bigger.
- You have to perform them by lying on the ground and contracting your glutes to lift your hips in the air.
- Then you lower them back down until they touch the ground.
- You may also use weights while performing this exercise, so you build strength at the same time.
A step-up is a single-leg exercise you can do to strengthen your lower body.
- The starting point is you standing up.
- Then you step on a platform you want to stand you up. Again, it would be best if you squeeze your glutes during this movement.
- You may use a box or stepping risers like those for running and add dumbbells to increase your workout intensity and difficulty.
- Step-ups are great exercises you can do if you have access to a stair. You can repeat the movement you do while you climb up and walk down. This is great for your glutes!
Bulgarian split squats
You don’t have to do always the same exercises for your glutes. For example, a Bulgarian split squat is a type of lunge you can do with one foot resting on a bench. If you're learning it, you should do it without weights, in the beginning, to keep it simple.
To strengthen your muscles, you may want to incorporate the Bulgarian split squat. This type of exercise works on stability and proprioception in addition.
The Bulgarian split squat is a multi-joint exercise that uses the hip, knee, and ankle joints. It's also compound because it combines two exercises in one: The Squat with Lunge.
Using strength, stability, and power to execute this movement will help you build up your lower body muscles and tone them down so they have a better definition.
- First, the starting position is standing in front of a bench or support, with feet forward and shoulder-width apart.
- The lowering is performed while inhaling, gradually lowering until the back knee grazes against a hard surface. Your knee mustn't go higher than the toe of your foot during flexion.
- Then as we come up, we exhale, pushing our torso upward and backward with help from strong muscles to return to an initial position.
Tips to maximize glutes muscle growth
Nutrition is essential if you want to promote muscle growth in your glute muscles or other muscle groups.
Eat enough protein
You have to eat enough protein to build muscles. Protein is the building block of muscle tissue, and you need to consume 1g/lb bodyweight you get a maximum growth in glutes muscle mass.
My favorite source of protein is eggs. You can buy powdered eggs (in health food stores) and mix them with water or separate the egg yolk from the white and add 100g of protein powder.
Soy milk is also good for you, but it doesn't contain as much protein as eggs. I love soy milk because it contains many calcium, potassium, and vitamins I need for muscle growth.
Eat each 3 hours
There you go, you get hungry, you must eat, and you have to eat 3 times a day. It would be best if you never skip your meals. Your body needs nourishment as fuel for energy to exercise. Eat enough food, so you don't feel hungry or want to sleep too much because of the lack of energy. You won't build muscle if you eat less than you need; you'll only lose fat.
My favorite source of carbs is sweet potatoes. You can boil them and add some olive oil or bake them or eat them raw if you like. Carbohydrates are essential for your body because you get energy from carbohydrate consumption.
Eat healthy fats
To increase muscle mass, it is essential to follow a healthy diet, and a healthy diet has to include fats. You have to eat healthy fats like nuts. You can mix them with your protein shakes. It would be best if you ate a lot of nuts daily.
My favorite source of healthy fats is ground almonds. You can add some flax seed, and you grind the almonds in a blender, or you buy already ground almonds you get them in health food stores they're very delicious, and you feel your stomach full you'll feel you ate enough you won't want to eat anything for a long time.
Healthy fats can help you lose weight, promote muscle growth, and lower your body fat percentage. However, if you eat them (not in excess), you will learn and get too much body.
You don't get the same benefits if you take supplements like fish oil or flaxseed. It would be best if you ate them. You need to consume food.
If you want to increase muscle mass, you need to rest. So it is maybe one of the most important training tips.
Rest is essential because you need your muscle fibers to recover so you can train again. Therefore, you must get a lot of sleep and stop working out for a while, and you shouldn't train your glutes every day.
Muscle recovery is essential. To gain muscle mass, you have to stop working out from time to time.
Don't lift too heavy.
It would be best if you always lifted with a perfect technique and keep doing it over weeks. You have to avoid injuries at all costs. You do not want to be injured in your glute training.
Exercise-induced inflammation is a normal and necessary process for muscle growth. It's the body's natural response to physical stress to rebuild stronger and bigger muscles. But forgetting it, you don’t need to lift too heavy loads.
If you like wearing your jeans, skirts, or dresses, you must train your glutes to look amazing.
I like using dumbbells. You can lift a maximum of 50kg/110lb on your glute muscles. You have to try to progress as you go. The time you get more weight. You got to add more weight.
Stay focused. You have to stay focused on muscle gain. You can't take your eyes off the goal you want to achieve.
Don't you worry, you will get the glutes you want? Do you have to focus on looking good and staying healthy so you can be on the road as much as you like without feeling tired or injured?
If you are keeping good nutrition and training program, you will achieve wonderful results.
How can you promote muscle growth?
Here you will find a few secrets you may not have heard about to maximize the growth of your glutes. But, first, you need to know that you will need to do more than just squats to grow your butt.
You will also need to do other exercises such as lunges, deadlifts, and hip thrusts. These are all great glute-building exercises you really should be doing in your workouts if you want to maximize the growth of your butt.
Key points you need to know:
Don’t overtrain your lower body
One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to train your lower body too frequently. Unfortunately, this is not good for you since you only have a limited recovery ability you can do each week.
Do squats twice a week.
It would be best if you were doing glute activation exercises like squats at least twice per week. If you are an advanced trainee, you may need to do it three times weekly, but even then, you will want plenty of rest days in between squatting.
Don’t squat too deep.
You don't have to do squats deep into a range of motion. You want to squat deep enough you feel you've performed the set. If you're using the proper form, you should be pretty close to parallel on your squats anyway.
Perform single-leg movements
You will want to do single-leg movements such as lunges and single-leg presses. These can really help you build up your glutes. Be sure when you perform these, you vary the leg you use, and you work both legs equally.
Perform hip movements
You want to perform hip thrusts for building your glutes since you will be able to lift heavier weights on them than you would with squats or lunges. Plus, you can really focus on pushing out your hips in a movement you are not used to working like this, so you can effectively isolate your glutes.
Take care of your knees.
It would be best if you took good care of your knees when you perform squats. If you have knee problems, you want to be sure you squat in an area where you will not feel pressure on your knees and no pain or discomfort from squats.
Squeeze your glutes
Try squeezing your butt when you lift. This will help you move the weight you are lifting more effectively, and you will be able to isolate your glutes in this manner better.
It’s hard to say that you have a great butt, but when you know the steps for how to promote the growth of your glutes, it becomes easier.
From weight training exercises and using foam rollers before bedtime to eating healthy foods like avocados and salmon.
There are plenty of ways you can get those muscles popping with minimal effort. So what are some of the best tips for promoting the growth of your glutes? We have them all right here! (Trusted sources 1*, 2*, 3*)
Medically reviewed and approved by Nataniel Josue M D.