Nowadays, all women, or the great majority of them, are interested in doing exercises to having a better body, more toned, more waist or more in everything. Your main problem is to maintain good gluteus, that’s why we have decided to help you.
You have to keep in mind that a firm buttock is not only about exercising. You have to change your lifestyle and diet as well.
All of us have ever thought if we have a good body or astonishing legs and buttocks. However, it is not only this part of the body that must be worked on to have great legs. It is necessary to exercise the whole body.
Why is it important to workout glutes?
One of the advantages of working the buttocks is that you gain power for other parts of the body, so it is a fundamental and vital area.
Butt training is essential because this muscle is vital for improving sports performance and having correct pelvic alignment. Muscular buttocks help prevent knee injuries and strengthen the lower back muscles in all sports and lifting exercises.
We will tell you the advantages and disadvantages of working the buttocks and the care you must have first:
- Aesthetics. Having a firm and rounded buttocks will give us a much more aesthetic and healthy appearance.
- Agility and security: The benefits of having firm buttocks are not only aesthetic! That is one of our body’s fundamental parts to move with ease, skill, and security.
- It improves sports performance. Also, the gluteus improves and increases the performance in all sports. They enhance speed, power, and agility. By better stabilizing the trunk, we decrease the risk of back injuries, among others.
- Prevent injuries. Having muscular buttocks strengthens the entire lower back area. It also helps to avoid knee injuries during lifts.
Note: The work’s intensity depends on how much time you make force or tension in the muscle.
- Fatigue. It is clear that when training this muscle, you feel more significant tiredness than in other exercises you do. We know that doing these exercises is hard and sacrificial. The lower part of our body is an area that supports the whole organism’s weight, and that endures greater tension. When you subject your legs and buttocks to too intense a workout, you will need more oxygen and blood in the area. That happens because they are huge muscles, and you work out a more significant number of muscle fibers.
- Discomfort. If you have a joint injury or have susceptible joints, you may have knee discomfort. That is a persistent pain because the knees are in tension during all the movement. You can also suffer pain if you do not train properly by making your knees work and not your muscles.
- Back pain. We can suffer back pain if we don’t work out properly. That usually happens when we use bar loads (such as squats) and don’t perform them correctly. Poor execution can cause damage to the cervical vertebrae.
- Dizziness and hot flashes. If we train too hard, we can get dizzy and suffocate. The muscles of the buttocks and legs are huge and require much effort in each workout. When we demand extreme action from the body, our oxygen level and heart rate can be affected.
- Cloudiness. This point is directly related to the previous one. The disproportionate effort is one of the causes that can lead to dizziness, excessive tiredness, and blurred vision.
How to get maximum glute growth
Now I am going to give you the best recommendations for achieving rounded and firm buttocks.
Do not overtrain.
Although it may not seem correct, working the buttocks every day is sometimes not as recommended as they say, “you shouldn’t train your buttocks too hard or too daily.” Doing it every day doesn’t guarantee you’ll have a bigger butt. This muscle, like any other, needs to rest a minimum of 48 hours to grow. Not by doing it daily, we will have excellent and fast results.
Train your whole body.
As we mentioned before, doing only exercises for the buttocks is not healthy for your body. Do not leave aside other parts of your muscles, such as your thighs or upper body. To promote an aesthetically beautiful and balanced physique, we must train the whole body.
Train with the correct technique.
In order not to cause pain in the knees, it is essential to know the correct posture. This posture is (for instance, in squats) to put the feet parallel, legs a little apart. When you bend your knees, you should not pass the points of your feet. You must make a good movement with your back; you must arch it and keep it straight as you do the exercise.
Place the load properly.
If you want to avoid back pain, it is to know how to position the bar or load you put on it. You can also place a cushion around the bar to help absorb the force.
If you want your butt to grow and avoid dizziness and blurred vision, you must consume enough energy that your body needs before performing the routine.
How to activate buttocks growth? The key to stimulating and activating the buttocks is to focus the muscle’s exercise; the mind-muscle connection is essential to achieve this. We can trigger muscle growth with moderate or no-load as long as the glute is working.
We can reduce the loads and rest between sets and repetitions to recover your normal state and make your body perform and recover better. You will also have more strength to continue training.
Control the changes.
To have more motivation, encouragement, and a better stimulus, it is good that you often take the measures. Sometimes, while doing these exercises, we do not realize the change that our physique is undergoing. That is why it is good that every time you take the measures and see the results. If you notice changes, you will know if you are doing a good job, which will help you keep doing it.
It is also valid to take pictures of yourself, but I recommend that you not do it so often. It would help if you took a shot at least every 3 to 6 months. That is an adequate amount of time since the results will be visible in a few months. Don’t think that you will change from one day to the next. If you make a before and after comparison, you will see the achievements you have made.
Set a goal.
Setting a goal is also a way to motivate yourself. Do not put yourself an unattainable goal. You have to set yourself an objective that you can achieve with relative effort. That will ensure that you are not discouraged and continue to make progress.
It is not so important the time you will dedicate to the routine, but the constancy. Not only should you be constant in the exercises you do, but also in your diet. It is not enough that you want changes, but you must be persistent in your routine and feeding. Always remember this, be constant, and try to enjoy the process as well.
Few people know that light gluteal exercises are useful for toning and not for increasing muscle mass. If you want to gain volume, you must put on weight and eat a diet rich in protein. You must consider that to add load, and you must do it gradually so that you do not get injured.
Give your buttocks a rest.
How many times a week should you train your buttocks? As we have already told you before, the muscle must rest so that it grows.
Specific training of the buttocks stimulates muscle growth. When the muscle fibers are at rest is when they grow. Try to train your buttocks in at least three weekly sessions resting at least one day between them so that this repair can happen.
Drink while training.
Never stop drinking water by leaving it until the end; it is healthy to do so during the exercises.
Pay attention to your breathing.
Do not forget to breathe well in each exercise; it usually happens that sometimes we do not take the proper breaks to take air and take it out during the effort. Remember that we must exhale when we make an effort, and in the negative movement, we must inhale. Breathe well in each exercise!
The ten best exercises for the buttocks at home
Now let’s go with an exercise routine that we recommend. We know that many gyms, parks, and exercise centers closed during the pandemic, and we should stay home. That’s why we had to make our gym at home.
Of course, this doesn’t apply if you’re one of those who like to exercise at home. What we recommend below is a routine to keep you active while you stay at home. You will be able to keep up with the measurements, and of course, without losing the goal of doing the best exercises for your buttocks.
Before starting to train, please pay attention to this chart. Here you will see how to work out according to your level.
Squats are perhaps a complete exercise for working the entire lower body. If we go down making an angle with the legs a little bit less than 90º, we train much more the gluteal area.
Squats also help muscle growth because this type of exercise helps produce somatropin (growth hormone) by the pituitary gland. This hormone will make the muscles in your buttocks develop and harden faster.
- To do the squats, we must use the correct technique:
- Stand up with your legs separated at shoulder height.
- With your back straight, slowly lower yourself until your knees are a little over 90º.
- Go up slowly until you return to the starting position.
- When you are up, squeeze your legs and buttocks tightly.
The strides are also a great exercise to strengthen the buttocks and thighs. You can use dumbbells if you find that you perform this movement effortless.
To do the strides:
- Stand up with your legs slightly apart.
- Advance your right leg and bend it while your left leg remains in the starting position.
- Return your right leg to the starting point.
- Change your leg by doing the same movement.
Of all the exercises I’m going to tell you in this mega tutorial on how to train your buttocks, it’s perhaps the one that works your butt the best. I love the glute bridge because you can do it anywhere.
The trick to making this exercise more effective is to tighten the buttock muscles at the top of the movement. If the glute bridge is too easy for you, you can increase its hardness by placing weight on your pelvis. In this way, you will gain strength and muscle gain in the whole area behind your legs and lower back.
To make the glute bridge:
- Lie on your back with your legs slightly bent, reaching an angle of 90º.
- Please don’t move your feet away from your buttocks, don’t bring them too close either, focus on getting the right angle.
- Make sure your knees are in line with your ankles.
- Raise your hips until you can make a full contraction in your buttocks.
- Return to the starting position in a controlled manner.
The lateral strides are also a great movement to work the thighs’ whole area and the three muscles that make up the buttocks (major, minor and medium buttocks)
- Stand with legs slightly apart, shoulders back, and hands together.
- Take a stride to one side; when you complete it, you should have your knee and ankle in line.
- Return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
Curtsy lunges work mainly the gluteus maximus and minor, also involving extenders and rotators of the thigh. That is a straightforward exercise but very good if we want to get rounded and firm buttocks.
To do the courtesy strides:
- Stand up with your legs slightly apart and your back straight.
- Take a lateral stride making sure you have your knee aligned with your ankle.
- Turn your leg as if you were returning to the starting position but crossing it behind you with a bow.
- Return to the starting point.
- Do it with the other leg.
The back kicks or “donkey kicks” is an exercise with which you will work and tone your buttocks and isometrically the thigh’s back (biceps femoris).
How to do the exercise correctly:
- Get into a quadrupedal position.
- Lift your right leg as if you were going to kick it to the sky.
- Try not to lift the thigh higher than the torso because you could compress too much the lower lumbar discs.
- Return to the initial position.
- Change your leg by repeating the movement.
Frog pumps are a very similar exercise to glute bridge and just as effective. The difference is that it is essential to do this movement with good technique.
To do the frog pumps:
- Place your back and feet together with the soles attached in a froggy position.
- Lift your hips until you can contract the gluteal muscles at the top of the repeat.
- Do not lift your upper back at any time during the exercise.
- Return to the starting position.
- If you find it too easy, you can add difficulty to the movement by putting a dumbbell on your lap.
Banded lateral walk
The side stride with the band is to take the side stride to the next level. This exercise is highly recommended for people who already have a medium to a high level of training. There are several types of bands; you must choose those that have adequate resistance for you.
Execution of the exercise:
- Stand up with the band around your body at thigh level, a little above your knees.
- Stride to the side at a 90º angle with your leg.
- Keep your back straight during the whole movement.
- Push yourself up again until you return to the initial position.
- Repeat with the other leg.
In this exercise, we activate almost the whole body, but mainly you will work the lower part. Also, depending on the speed with which you do the repetitions has an aerobic effect; this will help you burn fat.
Execution of the froggers:
- Squat like a frog with your palms resting on the floor.
- From that position, jump backward without taking your hands off the ground. You have to reach the abdominal plank position.
- From that position, return to the starting point with another jump.
- If you also want to burn fat, do the repetitions more quickly.
- If your goal is to gain strength and size, do it more slowly.
Single leg glute bridge
- That is, exercise is a much harder variation than a regular glute bridge. With this exercise, we can focus much more on each buttock. If you find it too easy, you can add difficulty by putting weight on your pelvis.
- Lie on your back in the same position as the glute bridge.
- Lift one leg straight up in the air.
- From that position, push up firmly with the pelvic floor.
- Keep your hips level throughout the movement.
- I recommend that you do the same repetitions with both legs.
How should I work out my glutes?
It’s an exercise routine that helps you stay active during the pandemic by following your exercise routine to build up the habit.
That applies to any person who has experience in exercise or if you don’t usually do much, but want to look good with the best legs.
A 30-minute workout three times a week is what your body needs to improve flexibility, develop muscles and buttocks, and above all, release some stress as well.
Warming up and stretching
Warming up is very important as it helps prevent us from injuries and start the routine with our body prepared. This way, you will get the most out of every exercise. You can do stretches between the series.
After warming up the body, the real exercises begin. You should also apply these tips if you intend to go to a gym.
You may be interested in “Routine for beginners girls in the gym.”
What to eat to grow glutes?
For muscle growth in the gluteal muscle and the whole body in general, one must have an adequate caloric intake and combine the macronutrients to achieve muscle gain. It is recommended for muscle growth to distribute the macronutrients in this way: protein 25-30%, carbohydrates 55-60%, and fat 15-20%.
If you want to have better buttocks, not everything is exercise. You must change your diet; you must include protein in your life to gain even more volume. That is why I will give you four foods that cannot be missing.
- Eggs. They cannot be missing from your diet, but you cannot abuse them either; they are essential because they have a high concentration of healthy nutrients, they help your body with the perfect protein.
- White meat. The most common are turkey, rabbit, and chicken. They are rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals and have very little fat. These meats, besides helping us gain muscle, also contribute to fat loss.
- Fish. My recommendation is that you eat any fish, even the fattest ones are very healthy. Fish is very rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and are low in calories.
- Rice. Rice (as long as it is whole grain) is rich in protein. It can be a perfect dish to eat before going to the gym since it will give your body more energy.
You may be interested in “What should a woman eat to gain muscle? (With diet plan)“
In short, I talked to you about the advantages and disadvantages of working the buttocks, you know you can’t train them every day because it can be counterproductive, I gave you the best exercises to strengthen them and keep them firm. I added that you know you must work on your diet to have the most amazing buttocks in the world, including eggs and rice in your diet, much better if you eat them before going to do your exercise routine.