What is the reason for the oily scalp? All of us who suffer from this problem want to know what causes oily scalp, why it happens, and how to solve it. In this article, we will help you to achieve this.
The scalp has a large number of large hair follicles drained by the sebaceous glands responsible for producing sebum. When there is excessive production of sebum, it results in an oily scalp.
What is the reason for the oily scalp?
The causes of an oily scalp are:
- Genetics, this problem is hereditary.
- Hormonal changes.
- Stress problems.
- The inadequate washing: the excess of strong shampoo, which affects the pH and produces the secretion of the sebaceous glands all the time and causes greasy hair.
- Hair tools. Daily use of hair straightener, dryers, and tongs make the scalp dry, so there is a higher production of oil, to compensate for this dryness touching it every time produces more fat because it transfers the oil from your hands to the hair.
- Use of some medicines such as the birth control pill or those that regulate the menstrual cycles.
How to wash oily scalp?
You need to wash your oily hair and scalp properly.
Use warm water
If necessary, wash it every day with warm water, never hot, because it activates sebum production more. Spread the shampoo on all the roots, gently massage the scalp, and leave it to work for a while.
Apply the conditioner only to the ends
The conditioner or cream should be applied only to the tips, avoiding the scalp to fill it with more oil.
Care to maintain a scalp without oil.
- Use a special shampoo for oily hair as it contains surfactant ingredients that dissolve in excess oil. Use natural botanical shampoo, should include rosemary, chamomile, sage, horsetail, nettle, horse chestnut.
- Also, apply spray and leave-in conditioner for oily hair.
- It would help if you also used alcohol-free mousse, which offers a degreasing effect.
What causes oil on the scalp?
Oily dandruff is a process that occurs on the scalp when yellowish flakes form and stick to the head of hair.
Our scalp produces greasy dandruff when we have:
- Poor diet, chemical abuse.
- Inadequate hair hygiene.
If we want to fight this condition, there are home remedies, but if it doesn’t work, you should go to a dermatologist.
Some of these remedies are:
- Lemon juice or its peel: make an infusion with the peel of a lemon and 200 ML of water. When it is ready, add the lemon juice. Apply with your fingers to the scalp and rinse with abundant water.
- Baking soda: mix a little water with two spoonfuls of baking soda until you get a homogeneous paste. Apply it to the scalp with a gentle massage, leave it on for 10 minutes, and rinse with plenty of water.
- Apple vinegar: mix the vinegar with the same amount of water, apply it to the scalp and leave it on for 45 minutes.
Seborrheic Dermatitis is a disorder that affects the scalp producing spots, scales, reddish skin, and dandruff, consequent itching also can affect the eyebrows, face, sides of the nose, chest, and eyelids.
Some causes of seborrheic dermatitis are:
- Fungus present in the sebaceous glands called Malassezia.
- Strange responses of the immune system.
To treat seborrheic dermatitis, we find the following:
- Over-the-counter dandruff shampoo.
- Applying creams with anti-inflammatory ingredients like hydrocortisone, fluocinolone, clobetasol, and desonide is available by medical prescription.
- Antifungal shampoo.
- Mineral oil. Apply mineral oil to the scalp to soften and remove scales, leave it on for about an hour, then comb the hair and wash it.
- Avoid using sprays, gels, or styling products while you have this condition.
- Fish oil supplements such as Omega 3.
- Apply aloe vera to the affected area.
Seborrheic Alopecia is premature hair loss caused by excessive production of oil that induces and accelerates hair loss.
That is because the sebum destroys the hair follicle and prevents it from breathing, so the hair begins to fall out little by little.
To avoid seborrheic alopecia, you must perform certain habits such as:
- Change your diet.
- Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, also foods rich in vitamin B and zinc.
- Drink more water.
- Change your shampoo for one free of sulfates, parabens, and silicones
- Do not use dry shampoo or fixative products as they clog the pores.
How to exfoliate the oily scalp
With the shedding, you will do a deep cleaning to your scalp, besides it will help you regenerate the skin so that your hair grows faster and more robust since it removes the dead cells and the excess of sebum. Foliar application is required at least once a week.
One option to do this exfoliation is:
- Mixing two tablespoons of brown sugar, two tablespoons of oatmeal and two tablespoons of conditioner for oily hair.
- Mix these ingredients well.
- Apply after washing hair in a circular motion for 2 minutes.
- Rinse and apply conditioner for oily hair from medium to ends.
What is the reason that causes oil scalp? Excess fat and sebum on the scalp affect the hair’s appearance because this sebum accumulates in it.
Follow the guidelines we gave you to prevent the overproduction of sebum and to have healthier and better-looking hair.