Medically reviewed and approved by Nataniel Josue M.D.
How to remove orange peel skin on the legs and buttocks? Orange peel is a disease that affects almost 80% of women, and fighting it becomes a huge problem.
Orange peel skin or cellulite is a problem that affects many people, especially women, but it is possible to solve this skin condition. One of the best ways to eliminate the orange peel skin is by combining exercises with a proper diet and treatments such as Mesotherapy, Carboxytherapy, Cavitation, or Pressotherapy.
Below we will show you practical solutions to eliminate orange peel skin on the legs and buttocks through diet, home remedies, exercises, dermatological treatments, and surgical treatments.
But not without explaining what causes orange peel skin and the degrees of cellulite in the skin.
What is the orange peel skin?
Orange peel, also known as cellulite, refers to the skin’s irregular and rough appearance due to dimples and nodules at the dermis level.
They usually appear on the thighs, buttocks, hips, and arms produced by the accumulation of fatty tissue. Although it is not a disease, it can cause a lot of concern.
Women suffer this skin problem and, to a lesser extent, men, since the body fat index is higher in females than males.
How do you get rid of orange peel skin on legs and buttocks?
Dermatological treatments against Cellulite.
It is a procedure used to restore proper blood circulation, eliminating toxins, and relieving muscle pain.
It also restores elasticity to the skin and reduces heaviness in the arms, legs, and feet, eliminating accumulated fluid and losing weight through the lymphatic system’s stimulation.
There are two types of lymphatic drainage:
- Using a manual massage process to help eliminate toxins and fluid accumulation.
- Using devices like rollers and other products.
Endermologie is a process where the therapist works on the cutaneous and subcutaneous tissues. This procedure lasts approximately 40 minutes.
In this treatment, the patient must wear a special mesh. Then the patient receives a massage by a machine with motorized rollers that the therapist move over the body.
This treatment is not aggressive and helps improve the appearance of the skin, helps lymphatic drainage, reduces fluid retention, and shapes the figure.
Carboxytherapy helps to eliminate cellulite more effectively. In this treatment, injections of carbon dioxide CO2 are applied using a subcutaneous injection to give a higher amount of oxygen to the tissues. In this way, they achieve the best results. You must perform between 15 and 20 sessions.
Radiofrequency or lipocavitation:
For this treatment, the therapist performs deep heating of the skin and subcutaneous tissue, thus improving lymphatic drainage, reducing liquids and toxins in the tissue’s adipocytes, which causes orange peel.
To perform this treatment, you must do between 8 and 12 sessions, once a week. Each session lasts between 40 and 25 to 45 minutes, depending on the area.
In this treatment, the therapist applies pressure waves to the area that needs treatment to eliminate liquids and toxins and improve blood circulation. The pressotherapy session can last approximately one hour, be performed weekly, and perform six sessions minimum.
Cavitation is a technique where the therapist works on localized fat deposits by using rollers. These produce microbubbles of vacuum and waves that crash against the fatty cells, thus destroying the membrane to eliminate the fat that the body releases through urine and lymphatic systems.
After 12 sessions, you can start to see results. These sessions last less than 40 minutes.
The therapist performs this treatment against cellulite by infiltration of homeopathic medicines in the body areas needing treatment. The areas to treat usually are the thighs and buttocks. That progressively reduces the swollen nodes’ volume until they disappear, eliminating them through the lymphatic system.
It is a cosmetic surgery that remodels the silhouette by extracting fat or fatty tissue in different body areas. Liposuction does not eliminate the orange skin, but the appearance of the skin changes.
It removes fat accumulated in the abdomen, inner arms, thighs, jowls, buttocks. To perform this, a small incision is made where a flexible optical fiber is introduced.
Through this fiber, laser energy is channeled to heat the fat cells until they break the cell membrane and destroy it once the fat has been dissolved.
It can be removed through aspiration with a syringe or any suction method by squeezing it through a massage around the incision. Its photothermal effect helps generate new collagen, improve the skin’s elasticity, and facilitate its adaptation to the new body contour.
Nutrition tips to reduce the orange peel skin:
High consumption of salt makes you retain more fluid in your body; this is the leading cause of cellulite.
For this reason, avoid the excess of:
- French fries.
- Salted or roasted peanuts.
- Products preserved in salt.
- Pre-cooked foods, where the salts are in high concentration. Substitute it with a lemon or herbal dressing.
Consume moisturizing foods such as avocado, melon, pineapple, avocado, Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, watermelon, olive oil, kale.
Drink 8 glasses of water every day
Hydrate, drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Also, consume plenty of cold herbal tea or vegetable and fruit juices that are low in sugar. Consume a liter and a half of water a day to replace fluid loss and eliminate toxins. To purify your body, drink 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day.
It increases the intake of foods rich in fiber such as whole-grain pasta, bread, fruits, and vegetables such as/ peppers, carrots, onions, spinach, lettuce, mushrooms.
Consume less red meat
You have to reduce the consumption of red meat and increase protein intake from fish. You also must add more vegetables to your diet.
Consume healthy fats
To destroy the fat deposits, consume nuts, olive oil, olives, flaxseed, sesame, but you must consume them in moderation.
Eat foods with antioxidants
Also, consume foods rich in antioxidants, are essential to reduce Cellulite as:
- Citrus fruits.
- Virgin olive oil.
These help you with constipation and favor the hydric balance. Pineapple helps you to digest the proteins you consume. Grapefruit, Fennel, Celery, and carrot also accelerate tissue repair by eliminating toxins and fluids.
Eat bananas because they are rich in potassium, which helps improve blood circulation.
Include foods with iron in your diet
The lack of iron helps the appearance of cellulite and makes it difficult to eliminate it, so eat foods rich in iron:
- Lean meats.
You can find more iron-rich foods in our article “The 10 foods with most iron“.
The excess use of caffeine causes you dehydration and installs the adipocytes in places that are not correct; that is why you should reduce the dose of coffee, trying not to ingest more than 3 cups daily.
Prepare a purifying broth
To eliminate toxins and cleanse the skin, make a purifying broth by taking it for 15 days. To prepare it in two liters of unsalted water put it:
- 1/2 lettuce, two leeks, one branch of celery, one small zucchini, two turnips, 1/2 green cabbage, and a pinch of thyme, tarragon, and laurel.
- Boil the ingredients and keep it on low heat for 40 minutes.
- Then strain the vegetables and drink a cup of broth every night.
- Jump rope: This is an excellent exercise to activate the metabolism and burn fat, especially in the legs. To do it again, you should jump it for 10 to 15 minutes daily, at once or divided into three parts.
- Lunges: They gradually help transform accumulated fat into the muscle to avoid and reduce orange peel skin on your legs definitively. To do this exercise, you should take a step forward with one leg, then bend the knee in front, while the knee behind reaches almost the ground, keeping your back straight; later, you should do the same with the other leg; this can be done with weight or without weight.
- Bicycle in bed: For this exercise, you should lie down and raise your legs upward, and make pedaling movements as if you were on a bike; for this, you should do it in the morning and when you lie down.
What causes orange peel skin?
When there is a higher estrogen level, cellulite appears, causing fluid retention, factors such as.
- Puberty. It tends to appear at this stage in our lives due to the hormonal changes that cause the highest fat accumulation.
- Premenstrual syndrome.
- Birth control pills.
These factors cause the hormones to suffer from disorders and thus worsen cellulite.
A sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise cause poor circulation, and that is where the situation worsens. Through body movement, our bodies activate blood circulation and the metabolism of fat cells.
As the skin ages, it loses elasticity, causing these unsightly dimples to appear.
Weight gain makes cellulite more noticeable or visible, although, in some thin people, cellulite also tends to appear.
Genetic or hereditary factors.
Cellulite can be hereditary. Genetics may play an essential role in its development, due to a history of family members with obesity and cellulite.
Our bodies transform foods such as flour into sugar, then store it as fat.
When we are stressed, our mind usually incites us to eat in an unhealthy way. Also, tensions accumulate, which makes blood circulation difficult. These reasons cause our skin to suffer adverse changes.
Smoking or alcohol consumption
Alcohol prevents our body from properly purifying the substances that we must discard. Smoking obstructs blood circulation. With the consumption of these products, our organism generates a more significant amount of toxins.
When you use inappropriate clothes, either a tight dress or high heels, they hinder circulation and venous return, generating poor circulation.
Standing up for a long time.
To remain standing for a long time also hinders the circulation, thus causing varicose veins’ appearance.
Degrees of Cellulite
Cellulite has 4 degrees:
- 1: It is not visible the orange peel skin.
- 2: When you press the skin, orange peel appears.
- 3: When you stand up, and we can see the orange peel skin.
- 4: The orange peel skin is permanently visible.
Other types can be observed depending on the type of skin:
- Hard skin: when you touch the surface, it feels rougher than the rest of the skin. It appears in people who exercise and that cellulite is in grade 2.
- Flaccid skin: you notice a skin much softer than usual. This type appears in women who are sedentary or have lost weight very quickly.
- Oedematous skin: this type of surface is already a severe case of cellulite; it is infrequent to find swelling and pain in the affected area.
- The mixed surface skin. It is a combination of other surfaces and the most common form of cellulite.
Home remedies to eliminate Cellulite in the legs and buttocks.
Coffee has properties that improve blood circulation, so it is one of the best exfoliants available for orange peel.
- 1/2 cup of ground coffee.
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
- Mix the ground coffee with the brown sugar until it forms a doughy consistency.
- Then apply it to the areas with Cellulite making circular movements for several minutes.
- You can then apply olive oil.
- Use this exfoliant in the shower with warm water.
- You have to do this exfoliant three times a week.
To improve blood and lymphatic circulation, brush daily on the area that has cellulite with a natural bristle brush. That will remove the toxins from the body that cause cellulite.
The way to do the brushing is to brush towards the area of the heart with circular movements. This brushing should be done with soft changes so as not to irritate the skin. With this, your body will eliminate the dead cells and the excess of liquid.
Thanks to its composition, Apple vinegar helps eliminate cellulite as it contains ingredients that reduce the appearance. To achieve this, you must mix three spoonfuls of vinegar with a 1/4 glass of water and place it on the affected area with massages.
The consumption of omega-3 acids helps to reduce cellulite over time.
Papaya produces collagen and removes dead skin cells due to the enzymes found in the skin.
To reduce the appearance of Cellulite you should make an exfoliant with the following ingredients:
- 1/2 papaya.
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Crush the papaya until it becomes a purée.
- Then add the brown sugar.
- Mix everything very well until you get a thick paste.
- Massage this cream into the affected areas for approximately 5 minutes.
Moderate the use of too tight clothes and heels
Wear clothes that are loose and try to moderate the use of heels as much as possible, especially if you spend a lot of time standing.
Beware of too hot baths or showers
Avoid hot water when you finish showering. Always end with water as cold as possible, over the orange peel skin area.
Give yourself localized massages
Get a circular massage with creams, lotions, or oil to counteract cellulite. That will increase blood circulation and help the absorption of accumulated substances. In this way, you will move the fat deposits that are responsible for cellulite.
To do this, you must do it with the fingers of the hand, using circular movements. You can also help yourself with brushes or loofah gloves or a vegetable sponge. To see better results, you should do an exfoliation.